04 October 2011

Longing for England

Dreaming of England
Since childhood I knew
I couldn’t simply pass through
Again and once more
Surely affection true
Coal smell and fox sighting
The Lake District, age six
At twelve, scuffling with Mackems
On a snowy boat ramp
Cementing my allegiance
To the team on the Tyne
Now the train slips through fields of green
In this country longed for
A cottage, a view
And hope endures
But not alone
Company in the arms of another
Far from the madding crowds
And rail tracks too
The landscape of Hardy’s time
Summer days declaring
“Life is good!”
Now as autumn leaves turn
Towards winter’s long shadow
I cast my own
Adventure in Afghanistan beckons
Calling to me: “Come, seek, find”
As I look eastwards
All that awaits I embrace
My prayer answered at thirty-seven
It was a fine season in Blighty
But for you my love
A fine season indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment