06 June 2013

Thursday

Denied. But for a bit of paper confirming that my passport is in Kinshasa I can't leave Baraka. Ultimately my choice to play by the rules. In DRC you have to announce your presence upon arrival in a new town. Of course, it stands in the venerable company of China and other states. In a place where little else functions well, the monitoring of foreigners and beareaucracy surrounding them is remarkable. Of course the motivations for this activity are dubious. As an aid worker one could make a stand regarding unlimited access to those in need addressed by various international codes covering humanitarian activity (which the DRC has welcomed). Paper work for profit is perhaps a distorted colonial legacy. Access is always paid for in these contexts. Wouldn't it be funny if on my recent trip to America I had been required to report to the mayor's office in every town I visited. 'Yes, good morning Mr Mayor. I love New York. Can I please visit MoMA today then go to a gig at the Village Vanguard. "Well sir, let's just check your documents. And while you're waiting here's a short quiz on Kandinsky."' All good fun. Right, time to sweat it out in the office. No adventures and project assessments for Dunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment