29 June 2013

The Wakey-wake Bird

The Wakey-wake Bird is up before dawn
Busying itself even before I yawn
To whom is it calling, I wonder why?
Awake on my bed not sleeping I lie
What is its message each day?
And what is its song I pray?
It seems to chirp ‘wake-wake wakey-wake’
Quit your rest and now your fast break
In a place with no rhyme and reason
It’s not so strange or out of season
Has the Wakey-wake Bird been woken too?
The mullah’s call told it what to do
Or the bugle of a Christian réveillé
Maybe the clanging for worship today?
Reasons to be up at this hour not bright
Perhaps more to rest on this fitful night
With dogs howling and gunshots fired
God knows that we are terribly tired
But the Wakey-wake Bird is wide awake
So must you be, make no mistake
Put behind you your Noddyland dreaming
Dress yourself and start your scheming
Everyone’s up so you might as well be too
The only problem is its four forty-two!

No comments:

Post a Comment